Saturday, February 11, 2012

Monster Island

I feel as though this novel changed the way I am going to approach zombie novels in the future and I felt encouraged after reading it, to veer off onto other novels of this kind. Which, I am appreciative that you post links to other novels/movies relative to each genre. The different point of views made it very enjoyable, because usually there's just one narrator to a story, which we all get used to after a while. Especially for a horror novel, it certainly isn't common to hear from the monsters' point of view. I really enjoy the aspect of Gary somehow is a zombie, but maintains some sort of mental/ physical stability. I honestly don't think I've ever come across this type of story line where it throws that sort of twist into it, but it reminded me of the walking dead where they're looking for this little girl the entire season and at the end she ended up being really close to where they were anyways, and already a zombie. But that's about the closest attachment I've seen humans have with zombies.
As someone who doesn't usually approach horror/adventure/action novels or movies, I feel like Wellington did a fantastic job at keeping the reader engaged by throwing multiple plots and plot twists towards the reader. Aside from being a good story in itself, I think what really made it a good read was the fact that you really got a sense of what it must feel like to be one of the undead. Like the issues they have to deal with and how they feel about it, because that is something that is not usually explored. And since David Wellington offered this other complex point of view, readers are going to be completely sucked into the novel until they are finished, which is how I certainly felt. Werewolves and Vampires have been elaborated on for quite some time now and don't get me wrong, zombies have developed over time as well, but they are always the villain in the situation and never first person. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Monster Island. I also had no idea before reading it that it would have dealt with zombies, just because they aren't usually called monsters, but generally that is what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment