Monday, February 20, 2012

Being John Malkovich

The movie Being John Malkovich was an extremely good one, aside from the the fact that it just quite nonsensical.. The concept of selling tickets to people to enter a portal into their mind, especially a famous one, people would go bananas! I was particularly fascinated when Malkovich went into his own portal, but to be honest, it didn't seem fun at all. It seemed like a horrible acid trip, even though for movie purposes, it had a comical sense. I really liked the actors, seeing Cameron Diaz so young and before all of the big fame happened was awesome. She's a great actress, and so are the others, including the chimp. He seemed to be really important throughout the film, sort of acting as their child, or love child more so. It made me feel warm inside when he helped her out inside the cage, because it really shows the compassion developed between this person and this animal. I sort of felt bad for Craig, well I did at first, but you kind of see how desperate he becomes, as he loses everything and turns into a monster. Of course, I start feeling more sympathy for Lotte, but she also becomes deceiving in a few ways, so in the end I wasn't really rooting for anyone. I will say though, it is a very weird idea and even just to visually see someone else looking through someone else's eyes.
The end was rather...strange. It was in a sense victorious, yet Craig still manages to lose. It was amazing watching him achieve his dream through living through the eyes of John. Of course, that sets it up for a very poor decline for Schwartz but the way both him and Lotte were going at Maxine seemed very selfish on both ends and very..animalistic. Overall, it was a very strange film, not sure if I feel completely satisfied with the result, but I'm glad to have experienced it.

No comments:

Post a Comment