Monday, February 20, 2012

Night of The Living Dead

The Night of The Living Dead seems to have been the oldest Zombie film I have ever watched. These versions of Zombies are so far from what they are today, it's not even funny, but of course they had to start from somewhere. The movie sometimes I feel depends solely on the intense background music, but it completely conveys the mood that it's supposed to. In my Digital 2 class, we had to make a movie trailer into a shorter version and the intense audio reminded me the old-school horror stereotypical sound effects. I feel like they are sort of lame, and I am not sure if it is because I have grown up enjoying much different zombies, but they were funny in the "dumb" sense, but just not scary at all. With everything considered this movie was well done and I personally thought it was aesthetically pleasing, even if the acting was painful to watch every once in a while. I did feel strange going back to this movie, after we have advanced so far as to having regular tv shows revolving around zombies..
I honestly think I did a little bit more laughing than being scared but it was more in just how simple and "innocent" the zombies were, it was almost in a sense cute as a comparison of the times. Sami Raimi was a smart man to film this in black and white, because it makes it that much more dramatic. Yes, I will give it to the actors, because they definitely exaggerate the correct amount, without making it awkward, yet there does seem to be a sense of cliche horror movie too. One thing about the movie that did take me for a turn was the ending. I mean, I am someone who is sheltered when it comes to seeing movies, I haven't even been keeping up with movies nowadays as well as I used to, this movie really kind of stumps you at the end. This became a commonality among horror movies, having a main character or even a character that you get to know over the course of the film and then right at the end, they die. I am one to get seriously emotionally invested into just about everything, so I get taken for a bit of a turn when the character I just learned to love gets shot in the face ... overall though, quite a good zombie for the time it was created in.

No comments:

Post a Comment