Saturday, January 28, 2012

Interview with a Vampire

Reading Interview with a Vampire almost felt relieving, like it gave me another perspective to the story, than what you see in the movie, so it was almost closure in a sense. I really enjoyed the fact that you were hearing the vampires side of the story was probably one of the most enjoyable things about this book. It relates to Monster Island, where you get that rare case where you get some insight in why they do what they do and how they feel about it and what they are. Especially with Louis. I felt he was quite emotional?, in a sense, about transforming into a vampire and then has to get comfortable with the idea and later on finally he excepts himself for who he has become. For coming out in the 70s, Anne Rice seemed to have a fairly decent idea of what a vampire should be, which obviously went on through The Vampire Chronicles and I think Rices vampires may be my favorite kind. Much more enjoyable than movies nowadays, but even the things she got away with within the book, just because it flowed so well. The gay aspects that just seem to be a tendency of their culture, like it wasn't strange that Louis and Lestat were that close or that Claudia wanted Madeleine to be turned to act as a mother figure and companion. I feel like today we would have called that a "bromance".. I thoroughly enjoyed that Anne included the glamorous parts to being immortal, as well as, the depressing truths and sacrifices you make as well. I don't think their were any parts I disliked, but I did get irritated with the ignorant interviewer when he interrupted the story. After hearing a story like that first hand and then begging him to turn you? Give me a break! It was obviously not the best solution for Louis and he begged for it initially too. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the book, as I assumed I would. I really appreciated that her approach to this novel was more just Louis telling this story. She didn't write it in an in-your-face kind of way, yet still achieved the core elements of a Vampire Novel.


These common attributes within Vampires are:
  • Amplified in appearance
  • Other than pale skin, generally dark in color
  • Thirsty blood suckers
  • Sleeping in coffins
  • Garlic and Crosses are supposed repellents so-to-speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment