Friday, February 24, 2012

Anansi Boys

Anansi Boys was a really good book, in my opinion. So many questions get brought up when a character is introduced to the plot, especially when it is so sudden, and then it turns out to be the main character's long lost sibling! I actually watched that happen in a show I am currently watching on Netflix. This show is about two brothers who fight the supernatural together and all of a sudden, like plenty of seasons later, their long lost brother shows up, which created this very very strange dynamic. It brings up the same issue that The Lost Boys had to face, where someone that you're related to turns into a vampire/werewolf or basically anything other than a zombie, and you have to choose whether to treat them as your loved one or as a monster. I think, as a viewer, I enjoyed this for a few reasons. I obviously like the intense drama behind it all, because I am a girl, and it's just so juicy, but I can't help but think what would I do if I were in that situation. How would I react if my 26 year old sister turned into a vampire? Would I trust her? Would I try to help her? It would be a very difficult personal decision.
Another thing that I thought was clever was the title of the book and the link to the characters with the word Anansi. Of course, I decided to look up what it meant, because I felt that it would help to have further knowledge before going ahead. The definition I got was:

n. A trickster spider (though sometimes taking human form), one of the primary characters in West African and Caribbean folklore.

After discovering this, I thought it was an interesting way to describe ones personality. It makes sense though, I mean we say "Sneaky, like a snake" and things like that, so a trickster spider would definitely fit the category here.

No comments:

Post a Comment