Monday, February 20, 2012

Labyrinth

The Labyrinth is such a trip of a movie. Primarily, David Bowie cracked me up. He was just so "evil", but then he would randomly burst out in song. The style of the movie was very enjoyable, in the way it was shot that is. The main girl, Sarah, was a little too 'damsel in distress' for me. She is tended to be a little over exaggerated in her voice sometimes, or in her mannerisms. I understand though that this is an older movie and that in the 80s, these were popular elements in movies like this. This was basically a big pleasure to watch due to the nostalgia of the time, or sense of time for my personal matter. Of course, I wasn't around for the 80s, let alone just made the 90s, so this movie at least fit the idea I have concluded in my head of what the 80s was from the influences then and that are back in style now. For example, David Bowies hair is OUT of this world... I mean, I actually asked my boyfriend, is that his REAL hair or is it a wig? and he replied saying it was in fact his actual hair. I don't really think this would fly nowadays, unless you are of grand importance and can get away with it! Back to the girl though... I felt very annoyed when she became quickly pouty about babysitting and then once her brother goes missing it she takes it completely back. Perhaps, it was because this is a cliche thing to happen and I was expecting it, but it just shows her immaturity at the beginning of her journey. Which allows her to grow during her journey and grow into maturity. For a children's movie, I am very glad this was my first time seeing it, just because it was very intense and there were moments where I actually got that nervous feeling. I can only imagine what little kids felt like after watching this movie, but it was probably some sort of horrified! Because I waited so long to see it, it definitely brought back The Muppets memories and whatnot, so being able to revisit that was also exciting. Although the little goblins are scary, they have a hint of cuteness to how they were designed, whether it is just their size or their rare kindness that shines through. Overall though I really enjoyed this movie, it's definitely out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment