Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Warbreaker

First and foremost, because I had never read this before, I didn't imagine this story to essentially be about princess, but I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed reading this, because I do not read books like this usually. I mean, I read Harry Potter and fell in love with it, but that even took my Grandma some time to get me to read it, but the magical element of the novel helped engage me more.. One of the things that stood out to me were the cultural differences and misunderstandings and unfortunately, it reminded me of my family from England, in a sense. I say this because, these when cultural misunderstandings are present, it usually forms a bias, which I personally think is wrong. A while ago, my grandmothers (Nanny) sister came to visit and they are originally from England, but Barbara currently is living in South Africa. I had never been in a situation where someone was so racially blunt in public and she made it so casual too. After she said "the blacks" and just the degrading way she spoke of them, made me realize how war can really effect someones views on something. I also really appreciated Brandon's choice to choose the other route, where one of the princesses, in fact the incorrect one, was forced to marry this man she does not want to, as apposed to the common cheesy ending. Overall, it was a nice change of pace from what I am usually exposed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment