Thursday, January 12, 2012

Frankenstein

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley is a classic novel published January 1st 1818. This novel contains every element I think something frightful should have:
  • Powerful or dangerous knowledge
  • Romanticism *
  • Secrecy (which usually follows romance around)
  • Monstrosity (both literally and figuratively)
  • Passive women and troubles of that nature
  • Strange atmosphere

    I had not read this book prior to this course and I felt that it was an ideal introduction to Literature of Horror, Fantasy, and Sci-Fi. Although I am not sure what we have in store for us throughout this course, but I can only guess by this novel and the class discussions we've had so far. Especially starting from the beginning and then working our way chronologically, it really allows you to see the progression of the entire genre and how it has turned into what it currently is. I guess that is one of my personal goals in this class, is to be more knowledgable about the literature of horror, fantasy, and sci-fi that was before my time. My generation is so limited in knowledge, because we are very focused on moving forward, and very few research on their own, so overall this was a great novel to begin with. I am not saying that it is a negative thing to progress and advance, but we started somewhere and it is important to know that if you really want to understand it completely. I really enjoyed when Frankenstein admitted to murdering William and shows some compassion. It is nice to witness a bad guy being good every so often in a horror novel/film, as it kept my attention longer, whether it is a genuine or false behavior. The ending with death is also very characteristic of a horror film or novel. You usually expect in a story line to have a problem but later there's a resolution/conclusion, but the element of shock and surprise is quite common within this genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment