Thursday, January 12, 2012

Horror is...

Horror, personally, revolves around something negative, in a sense.. It is something that evokes the extreme emotions that include fear, anxiety, shock, disgust, etc. In todays society, we have somehow come to love the thrill of being scared. For example, Halloween Horror Nights, or Hall-O-Scream, where thousands of people attend these thrilling festivities just to feel the adrenaline from fear. On the other hand, when the genre of Horror originated it certainly did not take much to scare an entire audience out, or even make people cry or become nauseous. Of course, something so early like Frankenstein by Mary Shelley was not absorbed as it is today, there was a mixed review, but in the end became very popular. It was difficult for me to try to put in words what Horror means, but now that I have sat and thought about it for a while it is a VERY broad term, but it is one of the only genres that does not stem from actuality. In a sense, Zombies, Vampires and Werewolves have become massive icons of Horror, yet we cannot become them, which is why I feel the idea of them is such a big hit, nowadays. I cannot say I am not a fan of the thrill of a horror movie, but I think because it's been so long since I have seen a good one, I cannot say I am a massive fan. For example, the other evening my boyfriend asked me if I wanted to watch The Evil Dead (1981) and at first I thought it was a little strange, but I actually really enjoyed it and thought about it a lot the next day.


Some commonalities among the genre of Horror are:
  • Majority of time spent during the night
  • Dark Alley Ways
  • Mirrors
  • Little Children
  • Ghosts
  • Creepy
  • Rain/ Poor Weather Conditions
  • Vampires, werewolves, and zombies
  • A main villan
  • Alternative Motives
  • Weapons
  • Confrontation

No comments:

Post a Comment